Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My cello teacher says I suddenly seem to have gone up a level. I have suddenly improved it seems. I think because I spent the last two weeks always playing with a drone and beat. Furthermore taking care to raise my bow on the bridge on the G and C string. And lower it in second and fourth position. And also making sure I take full bowstrokes.

Her compliment yesterday was such good positive reinforcement that I'm about to practice for the second time today, something I don't think I've ever done before. Really want to drill home some scalework.

I must say though as hard as it is drilling into me the 12 tone scale, I hesitate to ever move to alternate scales on the cello. Also haven't bothered to write any music in a long time. But have listened to my old stuff now and then and I'm generally pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds. The complete indifference everything I ever wrote really was a hugely negative effect on me. Now though I have the 25 CD changer with a song of mine randomly thrown it. And really for the most part sounding really good. Often sounding better than some famous stuff, IMO.