Thursday, February 10, 2011

Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug by Stephen Cherniske

It occurs to me that back when I was having heart palpitations I was drinking a ton of tea. It was half and half black and green tea. I thought the green tea was healthy for me. But I was probably knocking down 4 or 5 glasses day. Which actually had around 50 milligrams of caffeine each. Along with a cup or two of coffee at work. (200 to 400 milligrams more.) Plus all the damm chocolate I was eating.

I think it was the caffeine actually that caused my heart issue.

This book goes into all kinds of issues that caffeine causes even at the level of one or so cup of coffee a day. Along with the heart palpitations what was highly personally relevant was the effect caffeine has on stress. It amplifies all stress. My job is already so stressful. So I quit caffeine at least three weeks ago, and I really do feel less stress as a result.

Other issues, constipation. I was increasingly feeling constipated. Meaning I was having to push. Which is not a good thing. Would eventually lead to hemmorhoids which I'd rather not get.

So many other issues. Increased allergies. Within a year of starting coffee, eating peanuts started triggering a cluster headache. Of course lots of caffeine causes headaches also.

Sleep issues. Kept waking up, wide awake at 3 or 4 am. I seem to be keeping my sleepiness somewhat better now...

And it turns out each month on caffeine significantly decreases chances of getting pregnant. (Just a single cup of coffee causes a significant decrease!) So wife is quitting caffeine now also. I have to go today in search of teeccino for her.

Many other issues. I had considered listing them all. But to do so would just be for other people's benefit. And people generally just don't listen.

I really feel so much damm better though mentally. I can't say it's all just the lack of caffeine. But getting rid of it, combined with other issues has got me about as good as I've been. (Although it's the worst time of the year weatherwise.)