Thursday, February 10, 2011

I decided to just do a 4.8 mile run outside twice a week for now. Switching away from the treadmill because it occurred to me the extra padding may be messing up my running form much like the argument in favor of vibrams. That twice a week and then also 30 minutes twice a week on the exercise bike (cross training). So, similar then to powerrunning. The run is extremely hilly. Maybe a bit too hilly. But it breaks up the monotony, sort of like a roller coaster. First three runs were 57, 53, and 52 minutes. Trying to stay off my heels and I guess the second run was so much faster than the first that my calves got extremely sore. Too sore. Still very sore here for the third run which I tried to slow down on. Tried to go especially slow down the hills. Still, surprisingly, went faster.

I had done something similar years ago with good success except I kept going farther and farther and running a different route each time. 10+ mile runs. Finally hitting a very long hill 5 miles from home that destroyed my calves. Then hobbling 5 milees home. The pain caused me to give it up. This time, trying to be a bit more reasonable. Just a 4.8 mile run and the same route each time.