Monday, July 25, 2011

This digital hardware casio cz-101 has a nicer sound than all the virtual synths I've ever tried. I say this tentatively. Each new synth at first is "fresh" and inspiring. But I do think this has just got a sound that for whatever reason just seems "better". I really want to work hard at being able to make my own sounds. I'm pretty much done relying on presets. This synth is good in that respect as the presets really aren't so special. Furthermore I can only store 16 of my own sounds, and without being able to name them. Thus, to use this I really have got to get good at making sounds.

I want to quit being "flexible" and instead do a much better job of taking the sound to exactly where I want it in my head. In the past this has resulted in music that wasn't as good but that's perhaps what it is to be starting out. Perhaps eventually that isn't the case. For certain though, eventually one gets bored with just being pulled along randomly.

(Definitely still have to get an analog synth one of these days though.)