Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Really trying to put together an outline. Thinking that perhaps I should try to put together two. One more of what I really want to do and then a second that is more conventional. What I want is a main character that is too much of a loner most likely in a world that is a little too dystopian. I worry that such won't be sufficiently escapist even if it's low tech, magic and the "hero" has special powers.

Mages/Assassins/great fighters/Generals/Soliders and nobles (kings, barons and so on.) So it goes. What is the power structure? Where is our hero in it?

As opposed to wandering on the red plain. Can't be just wandering. Must be trying desperately to survive... I guess. I suppose just barely surviving thanks to special powers in a place that would kill any other human. Still need a power structure. Still probably something like nobles/mages, etc. For both still need 15 to 30 main characters I guess. The one can be more escapist. Main characters can have friends, etc, despite suffering adversity. I can be disgusted at how good he has it actually. The red plain "demon" will be less conventional.

Looking at top 50 or so fantasy fiction, Gene Wolfe only comes close, but really he spent most or all of his time with others. Sleeping with many women, traveling with a troupe, etc. Must be others, surely.

I think it's a sign of creativity to simply be able to come up with a damm outline. And I've not done so well so far. Started and stopped many times.

---

Mythago Woods-really loving this idea of the subconscious interacting with something to create a type of magic.