Sunday, June 2, 2013

Crash in Deckers half marathon. Had to walk 8 miles in. The heat played a role (90F) but also felt bad from the beginning. Hadn't done adequate long runs beforehand, I guess. But I think I really need cold weather if I'm trying to go all out for longer than 8 miles. Larger you are, the less efficient at dissipating heat. So that's one tiny little good thing about how cold it is much of the year here. Nothing longer than 10k from June to August in the future.

Recent training is intervals 4 days a week plus a tempo. (Two weeks so far.) 2 min hard, 3 min easy (5 mph). Last week did 9.3mph for a total run of 40 minutes. This week said what the hell and jumped up to 10mph. Just did 15 minutes. (Awful half marathon was yesterday.) I guess I could have gone 25 minutes. Maybe 30. Not sure if going up to 10mph is too ambitious though. Whatever. Disgusted with yesterday. But should be happy that my knees, etc are good.

The first 4 miles I went 7:45 pace but was feeling pretty bad. So slowed down to about a pitiful 8:30 pace for the next 4. Which means I did the first 8 slower than the relatively easy 8 miles I did last week on a flat course. And at that point I had to stop and walk. Then it was just a matter of getting to the car without J getting too worried. Which unfortunately meant 5 more miles of stumbling along or walking. Ripped bib off short of finish and threw it in the trash 20 yards short of finish and walked off course.